Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Day 2 - and already feels like forever!

Today our alarm clock didn't work, so we missed the free breakfast at the hostel. The hostel isn't bad; just like the dorms. Our roommates were already in bed when we got home last night, so they're peaceful.

We got food at a convenience store, hopped on the Tube (the amazing and cheap underground train system) and went to Buckingham Palace. It large and gorgeous. We then took the Tube to Notting Hill, and we checked out all the street vendors. I've been good so far though, I've only bought what I need.

Emily is sick; she thinks it may be strep. Her glands are swollen and she's back at the hostel napping. Lauren and I just saw St. Paul's Cathedral and it's been my favorite site so far. It was build (I think) around 1690 and it's breathtaking. It literally took my breath away when we stepped into the main cathedral. The ceilings are so tall and there's gold everywhere. I snapped a few pics (with the flash off, of course) before a guard caught me and told me to stop. I'll post pics soon, I promise, just as soon as we find an adapter that actually works!

Now me and Lauren are catching up with emails and stuff at an Internet cafe facing St. Paul's Cathedral. Then we're going to the National Gallery which holds lots of famous paintings. If we have time today (which I really hope we do!) we're going to Abbey Road to take a Beatles pic. I know you'll love that Mags!! =)

Then we're going to the Tower of London (which holds the Crown Jewels) and the London Bridge (London Bridge is falling down!), then we're meeting Emily at 7pm our time to ride the London Eye! It looks like a large bicycle wheel, and you ride in pods of about 20 people and you can see the entire city! Then we're going to have fish and chips and a pub and head back home for the night.

Pray for Emily to get well. And pray for our safe journal. Love to all; more later.

To Mom: My phone card does not work. I'm going to purchase another. The one you bought is only international from within the U.S. Hah, I love you!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Jessica, Sounds like you are having a good time. Have fun and be careful.

Craftysis7 said...

Jessica, you tell Emily I am sending out an email to everyone on my list for prayers for her. Hopefully somehow she can get some medicine, sounds like shes missing out on alot of fun. Just reading about it kinda (remember I said kinda) makes me envious that I have not ever be able to go there. You know how I am about flying though. I will just go there through way of your journal. hahaha!!! Take lots of pictures!! Look forward to your next writing.

Love ya bunches,

Aunt Sissy

Kristin said...

I am waiting PATIENTLY for pictures! Tell Emily she needs some Amoxicilin! That's what the doctor gave John both times he had strep this year and also tell her that she shouldn't be kissing guys that she doesn't know and she wouldn't get sick...LOL J/k

Mom said...

Hey it sounds like you guys are having lots of fun! I will say a prayer for Emily--I did last night after talking to Lou--I hope she has gotten her some meds now. I can't wait to see the pics--be sure to get someone to takes pics with you and or all of you in the picture! Going tonight to try to decide on house. I did call about that phone card before I bought it and there were directions on the back to use while you were out of the country--but oh well...I didnt' get to the bank today so i'll do it tomorrow and let you know your total of this deposit. Love you lots
Mom

Tell Emily i'm sorry she isn't feeling well---DON'T drink after her!