Tuesday, October 14, 2008

High Heel Hike! For the Breasts!

On Saturday, October 11, I met up with some co-workers to participate in a High Heel Hike in Fort Lauderdale to raise money for breast cancer. I didn't think there were going to be as many high-heeled women as there were. The Miami Dolphin Cheerleaders were there, and there was also a group of drag queens from a local bar with T-shirts that said "Save the Ta-Tas."

We signed in, and then proceeded to be given SWAG – "Stuff We All Get." I got a t-shirt, a fan (it was really hot outside!), fingernail files, key chains, bagels from Panera, and pink champagne. Yes, you heard me correctly. This was really my kind of walk! The walk took place on a street called Las Olas, Spanish for I-don't-know-what. Chelsea should be able to tell you; ask her. Las Olas leads all the way to the beach in Fort Lauderdale, and there are restaurants, bars and boutiques stretching all the way down. The walk was the shortest distance I've ever done; it was a 1K. But it actually took longer than you might think. First, we were all in high heels, and second, most of the restaurants had workers by the street with trays of hors d'oeuvres for the participants. There were men on the street with Evian misting bottles cooling us down, and the bars even set up little tables by the streets and were serving us free drinks. You couldn't go twenty feet without something catching your eye, either food or drink, and then off you'd go! The Sushi restaurant gave out Hot Pink sake. One bar served pineapple mixed drinks. Basically I think everyone had fun, from the tiny little girls walking in their tiny high heels and bright pink tu-tus, to the adults that were basically dressed to match! I wore yellow high heels. I wanted gold in honor of grandma, but I had no gold, so yellow had to suffice. I'm sure she would have LOVED this walk! I guess I am my grandmother's granddaughter…I'm not sure if that's applicable, but oh well. Who got grandma's boobs anyway?

Other than that, not much else is going on. I'm writing some and researching freelance writing jobs, so if anyone has a hookup, let me know!

My next book club meeting is Wednesday night. We're discussing Ann Patchet's Bel Canto, which I enjoyed. Plus (I think I mentioned in an earlier post) she's a Nashvillian. Go Tennessee!

That's all for now! More later on....

4 comments:

The Bates Girls! said...

I'm sure grandma is honored you did this for her and especially with the "yellow-gold" shoes. I'm sure she's smiling down on u right now! Las Olas is translated "The waves" the internet is great..Chelsea will still have to confirm this. I'm sure it was great. I miss you and you're always in my dreams!

Love you
Mummy

The Bates Girls! said...

P.S. Hats off to Mark for taking such good care of my baby! Thanks Mark!

Kristin said...

I would definetly say that had Sissy had a girl that she would have gotten grandmas boobs! HAHA Cause neither the Bates girls or myself got them! Sounds like you are loving life in Miami! Can't wait to see you again at Thanksgiving! Love you!

Craftysis7 said...

Jessica, I am proud of you for doing that walk in her honor and thinking of Grandma and her gold shoes. That put a smile on my face when I read it. You are really a special granddaughter and she would have been proud of you!! I can imagine hearing her laughter if she could have seen you cause I bet you had shorts on with those high heels. And as far as the boobs go maybe Darryl will have a little girl this time and she will get them, haha!! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!!

Love ya,

Aunt Sissy