Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Foot Travels




I've been doing a lot of walking around Santa Monica, and I've found that it's orienting me as well as clearing my mind. Along the way, I've taken several pictures of my surroundings, so I thought I'd share them with you all. Enjoy!












There are lots of interesting plants here. I love stopping to look at them. Most of the pictures here are of plants that I like. This one is like a flower with waxy leaves as petals.








This is a flower from a tree, and it looks like a pine cone is growing from the top of it! It's beautiful. 













I saw this on a walk, and of course I thought of my lovely sister, Chelsea. I love Chelsea, but it wasn't me that etched it into the sidewalk. So many lovable Chelseas, it seems. 








My camera just doesn't do justice to the amazing color of these tiny sidewalk flowers. 











The palm trees on the west coast are MUCH bigger than the ones in Florida. They make me want to stand up taller. 














Mark and I met for lunch last week, and as he turned to go back to work, I stopped to snap a picture of this cool cactus plant. A lady was pushing her baby in a stroller, and I was almost on the ground I was down so low for the picture. She gave me a weird look. Just taking a picture, lady! Gimme a break!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Great pics, Jessica!!!! keep them coming. I'm trying to talk Buddy into letting me drive to Oregon this fall in my Mustang, and then he fly out to meet me. We drive down the coast of Oregon & California. He could fly home and I can drive back home. He can't take over a week vacation at a time so that would work fine. He's not going for it so far.

Unknown said...

I love the pictures too. We brushed Jules's (?) teeth tonight with her new electric toothbrush. We should've taken pictures of that :) Needless to say she was not happy but she sure needs it and she's smiling now.
Love you sister!

The Bates Girls! said...

Beautiful pics Jess! I love the "I love Chelsea" in the concrete! She is special! (As well as my other two daughters!) Keep it coming I love being able to see what you are up to!

Love
Mom

Unknown said...

Great pics. I love the plants you have in Santa Monica. I've identified some of them: The succulent I know as "hens and chicks". The larger one at the top is the "hen" and the "chicks" are the baby plants that develop below. They can be plucked off and planted to grow a new plant. The purple flowering plant in the sidewalk is a Lobelia. It grows well in cool climates. I've tried to grow them in Nashville, but they fizzle out once the hot weather sets in. The last plant I think is a prickly pear cactus. We have them growing here along the side of the road. They bloom in the summer with beautiful yellow blossoms. Keep taking your wonderful pictures! Melanie